Re: Oracle docs and permanent kernel settings

From: Daniel Hanks <hanksdc_at_about-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:09:33 -0800

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Jesse, Rich wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just dumped my primary Windohs desktop at work in favor of Gentoo (yay!),
> and am installing O9iR2. As I'm browsing thru the Install docs as I am want
> to do prior to installs, I see that they recommend using:
>
> echo "somevalue" >/proc/sys/kernel/someparm
>
> ...in the startup to set kernel values. Anyone know why Oracle wouldn't
> recommend just populating /etc/sysctl.conf (or /etc/sysconfig/* or whatever
> is available for your flavor of Linux). I used this on the RH installs I've
> done, and it works well. The echo method is a hack that just doesn't seem
> to be good practice to me.

I'm not sure why Oracle recommends such in their docs, as such changes aren't persistent through a reboot.

The sysctl command which is used to process /etc/sysctl.conf does essentially the same thing as "echo somevalue > /proc/sys/...", so from a functional standpoint it's the same operation, but with sysctl you get the benefit of not having to worry about your changes disappearing after a reboot.

You would think that with 'official' support for Oracle on RedHat, the docs would recommend setting values in /etc/sysctl.conf, instead.

> Just wondering...
>
> Rich
>
> [stoopid signatures not in MS sExchange profile]

   Daniel Hanks - Systems/Database Administrator
   About Inc., Web Services Division
Author: Daniel Hanks
  INET: hanksdc_at_about-inc.com