Re: how can I make Oracle not use all processors in machine?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:39:25 -0800

Here's a cut and paste from the "Software Investment Guide".

Notice that Std edition may not be used on a machine *capable* of utilizing >4 CPU's. It does not matter how many are installed according to the terms of the license.

The 'Processor Metric' section shows an exception to that which appears to apply to either the Std or Ent editions.

Jared

Enterprise Edi ion t
The Oracle Database Enterprise Edition offers industry-leading scalability and reliability in both clustered and single system configurations.

Standard Edition
Oracle Database Standard Edition offers a low cost alternative for small/medium business or departmental applications that want the power of Oracle. Oracle Database Standard Edition cannot be licensed on machines with capacity greater than 4 processors.

Standard Edition One
Oracle Standard Edition One provides companies the total power of Oracle Database at an affordable entry price. Oracle Standard Edition One may not be licensed on machines with maximum capacity greater than 1 processor.

Processor Metric
This metric is mostly used in environments where the software users cannot be
easily identified or counted, like in internet-based applications. The Processor
metric is also used when it is more cost effective than Named User Plus licenses. All
processors where the Oracle programs are installed and/or running must be licensed. If the server where the program is installed can be hardware-partitioned
and the customer can provide enough information to Oracle to confirm that only
part of the server is being used by the Oracle program, then only the part that is
being used must be licensed. Please refer to the partitioning section below.

Keith Moore <kmoore7_at_jcpenney.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 11/18/2003 05:44 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: how can I make Oracle not use all processors in machine?

I believe you license based on the 'actual' number of cpu's, BUT you can only license standard edition on a machine that has a maximum CPU count of 4
or less. Maybe that is what Jared is remembering.

> Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I believe it is even more restrictive than that.
> >
> > It doesn't matter how many CPU's are in the machine, what matters
> > is how many CPU's the machine is capable of holding.
> >
> > So what they are really licensing is not the # of CPU's, but
> > the class of the machine.
> >
> > Try digging in the archives, this has been discussed recently.
> >
> > Jared
>

> We've licensed servers with less cpu's than they hold. According to our
Oracle
> rep, this is fine. Number of actual cpu's only. Of course they like to
check up
> to make sure you haven't added any recently ;)
>
> -Brian

> Author: Brian Haas
> INET: bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com