Configuring multi-threaded server

From: Schauss, Peter <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:24:26 -0800

Oracle version 8.1.7
AIX 4.3.3 I am trying to configure mult-threaded server on one of my development databases. In my init.ora file, I set

(mts_dispatchers="(address=(protocol=tcp))"
mts_servers=10

When I bring up the database, I can see the dispatcher and servers. When I connect to the database with sqlnet, however, it still gives me a dedicated server.

I tried forcing the connection by putting (server=shared) into the tnsnames.ora file on my client. Then I get:

ORA-12520: TNS:listener could not find available handler for requested type of
server

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss