RE: End of communication channel

From: Lord David <DLord_at_ironmountain.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 04:30:26 -0800

Hi Stefan

ORA-3113 means that the thing at the other end of your client's sqlnet connection has died, i.e. the user process. On unix with dedicated server, its an oracle executable, on windows I guess it's a thread, I'm not sure what it would be on MTS. This is not the same as the database being down. Usually there will be an ORA-600 or 7445 in the alert log and an associated trace or core dump in the user, background or core dump destinations. However, I have seen occasions where it looks like the dying process cannot find the dump dests and so sticks a core dump in $ORACLE_HOME or somewhere under it.

--
David Lord

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the author's addressee only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error. Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us. Steps have been taken to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, but advise the recipient to ensure they are actually virus free. The views, opinions and judgments expressed in this message are solely those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or approved by Iron Mountain. *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Lord David INET: DLord_at_ironmountain.co.uk Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).