RE: Re: Logical StandBy question

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 01:49:24 -0800

Hi Juan,

It is not the patch level that makes it unusable for standby. It's the complexity, limitations and elaborous management tasks that cause the problem. One single unsupported DML command can stop/suspend the SQL-Apply process at the standby, and you have to circumvent the problem manually before you can resume.
That's something you definitely don't want in a standby environment. At the other end, when everything has been tested, tested, and tested, your users have no SQL*Plus/Toad/ODBC/whatever SQL-tool access to the primary database, you have reliable DBA's ;-), it can run pretty well, and it can be used for reporting purposes.

Note that redolog forwarding doesn't mean SQL Apply. Let me clarify this. When running in Guaranteed protection mode, all (online) redolog information gets forwarded to the standby. This is done synchronously, so it is guaranteed that every transaction arrives at the standby when it's written in the redolog on the primary. The same applies to the other protegction modes, but some data divergence may be the result. But. After a logswitch and not earlier, logmining will start, and the SQL Apply process will start processing the transactions. This is called serialisation, and doesn't really scale!

PSB remains in recovery mode, that uses less resources, and kan keep up pretty well on the sites I've installed it so far (right, Yong? ;-) ).

What do you want to achieve with LSB? Off-line reporting facilities on actual data? How actual do you need them? When a daily refresh is enough consider this plan:
Create a PSB, and keep it in Read-only mode. All redolog gets forwarded whatsoever, even in Read Only mode. Once, twice a day you switch the PSB to Recovery mode, wait until the waiting redologs have been applied, and switch back to Read Only mode. Has some limitations, not usable for all demands for offline reporting, but on the other hand, you know what your report is based on. Many DWH applications don't even want to have their data updated real-time, simply because succeeding reports will be uncomparable because variations in the daily workflow can affect the results.

Another plan might be creating both an LSB and a PSB (can be done on a single machine when the size of your database allows you), and use the LSB for reporting, and the PSB for failover. I would strongly recommend not to use LSB for failover purposes. The techniques simply aren't mature enough. I hope 10g is better, can't wait to get a copy to investigate DG in 10g. I've developed some scripts, 900+ lines for (hot) instantiation, and twice as much for database control. Together with some (still undocumented) naming conventions, they make life pretty easy for the command-line oriented DBA. However, they're not finished yet (what script is?), and not completely bug-free. And, they're Korn-shll scripts, so not usable on Windoze.

Regards, Carel-Jan

Author: Carel-Jan Engel
  INET: cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl