Re: RE: Re: Stop using SYS, SYSTEM?

From: Nuno Pinto do Souto <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:49:25 -0800

> Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com> wrote:
> In my case I also enforce the "don't sign on as SYS/SYSTEM" rule. The
> reasons I do that:
> - The default tablespace for SYS is SYSTEM, and I don't like to
> change that. There are probably reasons why you wouldn't want to
> change that. But when I sign on to do my DBA work to try something I
> don't want to have to specify a tablespace name every time I create a
> test object like CREATE TABLE TEST (X NUMBER) STORAGE (INITIAL 1000M)

It has nothing to do with the dba role itself and its security. Oracle just happens to associate user SYS with the SYSTEM tablespace. Fair enough that you may not want that association by default.

> - If each DBA has a named account, it's easy to tell who's logged in
> to the database by saying
> SELECT USERNAME FROM V$SESSION ;
> otherwise I would have to figure out who could be logged on as SYSTEM
> to call them and ask them if it's OK to shutdown the database.

That is a pure audit requirement: you want to know who is using DBA access. Nothing to do with SYSTEM. If you remove SYS and SYSTEM, there is nothing in USERNAME in V$SESSION that will tell you username BLOGGSJ is using DBA rights. Other than your own prior knowledge that is the case. In a way, you're worse off.

> Telling all the DBAs "sign on as SYSTEM" would be (IMHO) like telling
> all the programmers "You can all sign on as user 'coder'" and all
> users "you can all sign on in the database as user
> 'data_entry_person'".

Don't they always? <G>

Quite frankly, the problem as I see it is that I want to know WHO "dropped the tablespace" and WHEN and from WHERE. That whoever did it had DBA access rights is a given, I don't need it clarified!

It's the who, when and where that is the province of auditing. And have nothing to do with SYS, SYSTEM or whatever, other than as information. Using or not using SYS or SYSTEM adds nothing to this knowledge or its implicit security.

And that's why I feel disabling SYS or SYSTEM purely on "security" grounds makes no sense whatsoever. Of course, one may want to reduce the risk of accidents and therefore lock those out. Even then, debatable if that is the best way of doing it: accidentaly "dropping the tablespace" produces the same chaotic results regardless of what account one does it from.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_wizofoz2k.com.au

Author: Nuno Pinto do Souto