Moving CDC data to a staging area

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:29:27 -0800

Hey all,

After reading the article in the latest OraMag about 9i's CDC -- "Change Data Capture" and not "Centers for Disease Control" (cool reading that MMWR is) -- I'm wondering how most folk get that CDC data to the staging area of a DW/DM. The three ways I can think of are by using DB links, transportable tablespaces, and Oracle Streams.

Having not used Oracle Streams, it would seem to me to duplicate the effort of the CDC and add complexity unneccesarily. I have the preconcieved notion that transport TSs would be better for large amounts of data, and DB links more suited to the rest. I'm thinking that if one would expect large amounts of data, that the transport TSs would be used instead of CDC instead of along with it to prevent the overhead of the CDC itself. Is this how folks typically approach this?

The article (apparently not by Jonathon Gennick as it says in the first tagline on OTN) assumes the reader already knows why one would use CDC over other methods and what they're going to do with the CDC data once it's there. :)

TIA,
Rich

rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 12 2003 - 13:29:27 CST