RE: Help Interpreting TKProf

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:09:28 -0800

Barb,

I think tkprof prints output in seconds, so I think you're looking at 10.73 seconds of response time here.

First, some definitions:

The Oracle kernel uses a "to" event just to write a short message (often 1 byte) to a pipe. It takes practically no time to do that--usually on the order of 3 microseconds (0.000003 seconds).

However, as soon as a given "to" event completes, the kernel often next executes a read() from the same file descriptor. The duration of this read() is what ultimately shows up as the "from" event's duration.

What this means is that all the time spent in the following "tiers" gets logged as "SQL*Net message from client" (see p13 of my book for a picture):

Thus you'll almost always (maybe even "always always") see "from" events lasting longer than "to" events.

Getting good information out of "SQL*Net message from client" is possible only if you are careful in how you collect your trace data. If, for example, you allow 10 seconds of user think time into your trace data, then it forces you to do a lot more analytical work on your trace data to properly "ignore" the right data--unless, of course, the thing you need to find out is that the user is wasting your business's time by consuming 10 seconds instead of 2.

"Optimizing Oracle Performance" covers all this in great detail.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 11/19 Sydney, 12/16 Detroit

Author: Barbara Baker
  INET: barbarabbaker_at_yahoo.com

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com