Re: Fwd: Looking for help.

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:09:25 -0800

Jonathan,
 I don't see where the TRUNCATE command is used in the original request message.
 The 20 staging tables have a delete action against them. The data is sqlldr action to load the tables. The final tables are loaded from the staging tables using a PL/SQL procedure.
The final tables are cleaned up using a PL/SQL procedure.

The ORA-04031 is most likely caused by one of the PL/SQL procedures not releasing the memory stack. It takes a few days of loading before the failure occures.

I would look into the os and possible the I/O. is it buffered and the sqlldr is looking at the physical not buffered area or vise-versa? Are the table cached?

The sqlldr command is run and the previous "delete from staging tables" commands are invalidated? Is there a change of ownership on the tables at this time?

Just a few random thoughts that may or may not invoke someone elses thought process.
Ron

>>> jonathan_at_gennick.com 11/12/2003 9:34:33 AM >>>
I wonder whether the invalidation comes about from the use of TRUNCATE, which is considered a DDL statement. I'd guess that any DDL to a table would invalidate existing SQL statements.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one article on Oracle technologies per month by email. To join, visit
http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article, or send email to Oracle-article-request_at_gennick.com and include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

Author: Ron Rogers