Re: Multi-threaded server - will it help in this case

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:09:25 -0800

Nope. They can use the same listener and I'm pretty sure they can even use the same port, but if you did the latter, you'd just want to differentiate in the TNSNAMES definition with the "(SERVER=SHARED)" or "(SERVER=DEDICATED)" clause. However, I haven't done this last thing lately and as I write, I'm not completely certain that it works and I'm not interested enough to test it out... :-)

However, I _was_ implying that it would be _easier_ to separate the different traffic to different ports, just to be a little more certain that you are getting what you are looking for when you connect. You can always check after the fact using:

   select server from v$session where audsid = userenv('SESSIONID')

Of course, if your reason for using MTS involves extremely frequent/rapid connection attempts (that cannot be corrected by fixing the application), then dedicating a separate TNS Listener to that traffic might be the better part of discretion. Old CGI-style web applications, where each click spawned a new shell process with a new connection to the database, are a prime example. Switching from CGI to modern app-servers with pooled servlet connections fixes that problem. Weirdo CAE apps that treat database connections like cursors are another problem... :-)

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com