Re: PCTFREE and PCTUSED

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:49:26 -0800

Richard, here is what the concepts manual says (quoted): "Segment Space Management in Locally Managed Tablespaces

When you create a locally managed tablespace using the CREATE TABLESPACE statement, the SEGMENT SPACE MANAGEMENT clause lets you specify how free and used space within a segment is to be managed. Your choices are:

      This keyword tells Oracle that you want to use bitmaps to manage the free space within segments. A bitmap, in this case, is a map that describes the status of each data block within a segment with respect to the amount of space in the block available for inserting rows. As more or less space becomes available in a data block, its new state is reflected in the bitmap. Bitmaps enable Oracle to manage free space more automatically; thus, this form of space management is called automatic segment-space management."

That looks to me like automating the functionality of PCTFREE/PCTUSED. Do you hae some other information?

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net