Re: any problem rebuilding indexes used for replication

From: renu r <renu_p_r_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:29:24 -0800

Jared : I think it is fragmented based on scripts and knowing that there have been lot of deletes.

One script uses the table index_stats and looks at field del_lf_rows which should be less at least in comparison to field lf_rows. I mean less is good. more bad. I am not sure about the script but I will post it here if someone says so or send it to anyone if they want.

I am sure the experts here know about it and can clarify if it is any good to look at the index_stats table.

One other simple useful script is :

SELECT owner, index_name, blevel
FROM all_indexes
WHERE blevel > 2

This can be bacause the size of table is big so it is not definitive. I will check the level after rebuild.

Benefits expected : Space savings (definitely). performance (hopefully). I will let you and Yong know about the benefits if any. If I get some help.

Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:

I'm curious, how have you identified the fragmentation?

What benefits do you expect from the rebuild of the indexes?

Are you targeting certain indexes that have been identified as benefiting from a rebuild, or just planning to rebuild all indexes?

Jared

renu r <renu_p_r_at_yahoo.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 11/05/2003 06:14 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        any problem rebuilding indexes used for replication

Hello,
  I have to rebuild some primary key indexes due to excessive fragmentation. It is rebuild not drop and create. We have multi master replication running. Is there any problem to replication if I do that. Has anyone tried it? TIA.

Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?

Author: renu r
  INET: renu_p_r_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 16:29:24 CST