Re: Wow, Man, Flashbacks!

From: Daniel W. Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:44:34 -0800

There are several errors in this article. 1) AUM is not a requirement for Flashback Query (FBQ) 2) UNDO_RETENTION is not the max age for an FBQ, it is a guideline for how long to retain undo before reusing blocks (note...this is NOT a guarantee). Max age for an FBQ is coverned by the entries in the smon_scn_time table. If the instance is shutdown for a period of time and enough UNDO is available, you can flashback more than 5 days (which is documented).

If you are an IOUG member, download his paper/presentations from IOUG-A Live 2003. They are excellent.

Daniel Fink

Author: Daniel W. Fink
  INET: Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM