RE: SQL*Plus question - a bit urgent - Can we suppress 'Connected

From: <Stephen.Lee_at_dtag.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 06:54:28 -0800

My reply was probably a bit too brief. The most robust way for doing this would be to use pattern matching utilities such as sed and awk (Perl? What's Perl?) to parse that output for stuff like ORA-NNNN (N is a digit of a number)
TNS-NNNN
SP-NNNN
etc.

But for a quick and dirty approach, select an additional dummy word in the select statement then parse for that word as the first word in the line; that's what the "read" statement does for you. You could add another condition outside the "while read" loop to see if the value you got is reasonable. For example set MY_VARIABLE='BROKE' before running sqlplus, then see if MY_VARIABLE is still BROKE or empty when the loop is done.

Author: <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com
  INET: Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com