Re: This is just wrong

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:09:25 -0800

Tim,

> Oracle has even produced a "developer's release" of Oracle9.2 for Mac > OS X, downloadable from OTN.

that was released in Sept 2002.
releases of 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 were supposed to be released for production usage, according to articles floated by Bob Shrimpi. Those never happened. What do you think are the chances of a 9.2 production release for Mac OS X? Oracle doesn't even support FreeBSD. One can run the Linux release of Oracle Server with Linux compatibility loaded.

Do you really think that they would support Mac OS X?

In my opinion, no. Not last september, not this september, not next september. never. Who really wants to run the server software on a Tier 3 platform, anyways?

Paul

Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com> wrote:
I "live" on a Mac laptop. I chose to do so because there are only three possible alternatives for laptop (or PC) users:

The Mac is mature (20 years) and has applications, such as Microsoft Office, Netscape, etc. I have no quarrel with MS about their applications (they only suck at operating systems) -- it is what they do best and I think it is nonsense to learn a different word-processor other than Word, a different spreadsheet other than Excel, a different presentation tool other than PowerPoint. On Linux, you have no choice. On Mac, you get all those things because MS has always had a soft spot for the Mac (let's hope it continues).

Oracle has even produced a "developer's release" of Oracle9.2 for Mac OS X, downloadable from OTN.

Now, the folks at Apple are nonetheless surprisingly arrogant about their place in the world -- v10.2 of Mac OS X still leaves a bit to be desired when you are trying to live in a world of Windows. C'mon folks: you have only 3% of the worldwide market -- let's start acting like it! Nobody cares that you have better technology longer -- you have to work with Windows, not the other way around!

Some vendors (i.e. Digital cameras, printer drivers, etc) simply refuse to port their stuff to Mac OS X. If you are trying to use Oracle Apps R10.7 NCA or R11.0, you cannot use the Applet Viewer or the Jinitiator, though I haven't had problems with the newer 11i versions. Most surprising of all, X-Windows is a johnny-come-lately to Mac OS X; when I started with Mac earlier this year, you had to jump through 20 hoops to get something installed. Now, X-Darwin is an easy install.

But the nicest thing is having UNIX (i.e. FreeBSD) underneath. Finally, 15 years after I drooled over the AT&T 3B1 (i.e. the UNIX PC), I've got UNIX-to-go and I'm not having to fight with Windows people for everything about everything.

Author: Tim Gorman
INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com