RE: How do you genrate primary keys?

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 05:39:24 -0800

Jonathan,

I think your idea of a paper is a good one. But I think we need to back th question up to what the requirements are.

First, to me, a primary key should not be something that a user would ever see or use. So the Soc. Sec. # is out. (A side issue - I used to work at a college. Want to know how many times we had to change the Soc. for an individual student because the parent filled the form out and used their soc, or the kid used the wrong one?). Any id entered by a user is subject to mistakes and changes. So the PK value must be protected from these types of errors.

The next requirement that may be needed is sequentiallity (is this a word?). Does the application require that every sequence number be used. Sometimes the answer is yes, and sometimes it just doesn't matter.

These are the only two requirements I can think of. Based on the answers, we then have options. Right now, Oracle sequences are working well for me. I like the idea of SYS_GUID, just not sure where I would need it.

Good idea and good luck!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Jonathan Gennick