Re: This is just wrong

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:09:24 -0800

I can answer that, or at least try.

When you buy a Mac with OSX, you're getting a system that is fairly complete, and is supported by the HW vendor.

In contrast, when you install RedHat, ( or any other linux ) for personal use, it can be a real pain in some respects.

For instance: I use Evolution at home for email, and have setup my wife and daughter on their own RH80 box for email.

Something as simple as setting up Evolution to view an mpeg file directly from an email is a rather arduous affair.

You have to get mplayer, simple enough. But first you have to find out what app you can use to play the mpeg, then you get it.

Then you have to download and install it. If you're fortunate enough to know about apt-get, you've already installed that, making the installation of many other packages more or less painless.

After mplayer is installed, you need to figure out how to configure it to work with evolution. Good luck, it ain't documented for anyone but the folks that already know how to do it ( I didn't ). Nice little catch 22 there.

This would be extremely easy for the software packager to include, yet it isn't there. This is just one example.

I haven't yet ventured into getting my DVD writer to work.

Just try to figure out how to get SWAT to work under RH80. Turn the firewall completely off, still doesn't work. I just edited the samba.conf by hand.

Though I haven't used OsX, it seems very likely that these types of issues would be non-existant, as Apple has already packaged the system properly.

Linux on the desktop is still not for the average user, it's for geeks only IMO, or those fortunate enough to have a resident geek to maintain it. ( my family for instance )

Jared

email is a rather

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com