Re: PCTFREE and PCTUSED

From: Maryann Atkinson <maryann_30_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 16:54:26 -0800

At 06:34 PM 11/4/2003, you wrote:
> > 1) If the free space percentage in the block falls below PCTFREE, the
> block is
> > taken off the free list. Heuristically speaking, we can say that oracle
> does
> > its best to keep the block PCTFREE free.

So, if pctfree is 10%, oracle does its best to keep it full 90%. Fine.

> > 2) When the block is taken off the free list and records are deleted, the
> > block is not returned to the free list until the percentage of used space
> > doesn't fall below PCTUSED. Again, heuristically speaking, oracle tries
> > keep blocks at least PCTUSED used.

So, Oracle lets the block get emptier and eptier, but does it best to stop this downfall of emptiness(!) at 40%, right?

> > I believe that your question was about the need for two parameters, in
> other
> > words, why do we need both of them, why don't we return block to free
> list
> > after the percentage of free space grows above PCTFREE?

Yes, oh YES!!! :-)

>The answer is that
>free list handling is overhead, which means that the database is working on
>its own structures and not working on the user data. It's easy to conceive a
>busy transaction table to which records are frequently added and from which
>they're frequently removed. Having only one parameter would significantly
>increase the amount of time spent in moving blocks to and from the free
>list,
>and significantly increase the overhead. You can test it by setting up a
>table
>with PCTFREE+PCTUSED=100. In other word, the answer to your question is that
>two parameters are needed to reduce the overhead of the free list maintenance.

GOT IT! I see, its beginning to make sense...

Let me see... If the block were to become 85% full(ie 15% empty), then if Oracle were to put it on the free list again, that would cause overhead because it would fill it pretty soon, then would have to move it off the free list, therefore NOT doing work for me but itself, etc... right?

So, PCTFREE and PCTUSED are kind of like boundary values, or kind-of-like FREE SPACE IS BETWEEN PCTUSED and PCTFREE values, right?

Many, many thanks!
maa

Author: Maryann Atkinson
  INET: maryann_30_at_yahoo.com