RE: redhat/oracle

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:34:25 -0800

And more in the thread:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12481

"RED HAT has told its customers that it will no longer support a version of
Linux for the desktop, signalling that it believes its enterprise products stand more chance of bringing in the shekels. The firm emailed its customers yesterday, saying that it will discontinue maintenance and errata support for RHL 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 from December the 31st this year.

Support for RH Linux 9 will end on April 30th 2004, and the firm said it does not plan to introduce any more products in the Red Hat Linux line.

At the same time, RH said that it has a migration plan for network customers to move to Enterprise Linux V3.

Although some think that Red Hat might be shooting itself in the foot with the move, like we said we suspect that its close cooperation with IBM has helped it come to the decision.

And it's going to help the other Linux companies who are committed to desktop distributions."

Nice move.. :(

Mark

Author: Eddie Watkins
  INET: eddie.watkins_at_mail.moray.gov.uk

---

Author: Mark Leith
  INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk