RE: Database Normalization

From: Karniotis, Stephen <Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:04:34 -0800

Funny you should ask for this definition.

Boyce-Codd Normal Form (BCNF)

* Formal definition:
* Every determinant must be a candidate key
* Stronger form of 3NF
* 3NF:  Every determinant of a non-key column must be a candidate key
* Applies to tables with more than one candidate key
* Candidate keys are alternatives to the "chosen" primary key

Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis
Technical Alliance Manager
Compuware Corporation

Direct:	(313) 227-4350
Mobile:	(248) 408-2918
Author: Karniotis, Stephen
  INET: Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com