Re: Question about datatypes

From: <roland.skoldblom_at_ica.se>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:44:34 -0800

Yes but how should I write the sql statement when to make the incoming varchar2 field into a number?

Roland

                      Mladen Gogala
                      <mgogala_at_adelphia        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      .net>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Question about datatypes
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity
                      .com

                      2003-11-03 13:19
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Trigger using TO_NUMBER function would be the first thing that comes to mind. I have designs like that, which are used for parsing so calld "Bloomberg

files". Those files contain strings like "N.A.", "-",|| ('|' is the field
delimiter) and all of those strings mean "NULL". Also, stock split ratio can
be described as: "1:2", "1/2", "2 for 1", "0.5", which has to be mapped to a
number field. I'm using perl to parse the input files and I'm using crontab to schedule perl script exectuion.

On 2003.11.03 05:14, roland.skoldblom_at_ica.se wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Maybe this sounds simple for all of you, but I have a table with the field
> PRICE and that is with datatype varchar2 I want the data in that field to be
> inserted in another table with field PRICE, but that field has the datatype
> NUMBER. How can I
> deasiest do this sql statement?
>
> I really have to have the Varchar dataype in table1.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Roland

> INET: roland.skoldblom_at_ica.se

Mladen Gogala