Re: Finding overlapping time periods - suggestions please

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:09:25 -0800

Ron, it's not as stupid as you might think. Of course, you can use SQL to find all overlaping time periods, but for a large number of intervals, it's not going to be very efficient and it's going to take a very long time. In other words, it's not practical. Spatial option, on the other hand, uses special libraries and floating point to arrive to the target in a more optimal way. And yes, the reasoning is based on mathematics.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net