RE: Moving projects from development/test to production

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:54:33 -0800

Helmut

   I don't think this is off-topic, but something that many of us Oracle DBAs wrestle with.

   If you kept John Kanagaraj's posting yesterday on the DBA Support Database topic, it contains the "big picture". If you didn't keep it, email me privately and I'll send it. I believe he is referring to the ITIL standards body. There is probably an ITIL user group near you or a company that gives talks from time to time. That is the easiest way to get an overview of ITIL. Our organization is "evolving" in that direction. Overall, this is a long-term commitment by your organization. You don't change everything overnight.

   One immediate change you can implement is a "staging" system. Most of us currently have a test or development system. Staging is an exact copy of production in all respects. From the database side, cloning the database or using RMAN DUPLICATE works very well. Then the development team makes a release to you. Ideally this is on a CD-ROM labeled 1.1 or whatever. You take the CD-ROM and instructions and apply the changes to the staging server. Then the staging system is tested. If it is deemed satisfactory, then you schedule a time and make the changes on production. If it fails the testing or you are unable to apply the changes, then it gets bounced back to the development group. The release may include application or web server changes that must be coordinated with database changes. This is a small change, but it has helped our releases.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 31 2003 - 10:54:33 CST