Re: OT: Need help with SQL*Server

From: Todd Boss <boss_at_i-sphere.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:54:26 -0800

Sure; bcp is pretty straightforward. It can handle all sorts of formats on the data file (much more flexible than exp/imp or sql*loader in my experience)

I maintain a sybase dba page here:
www.bossconsulting.com/sybase_dba

Click on "my personal faq" link then scroll down to the "bcp specific" pages. there's a few topics in there that you may find interesting.

the basic commands are pretty easy:
% bcp database..table in/out datafile.csv -Uuser -Ppassword -Sservername -c (-c tells you ascii mode). You can also specify a control file, if the data isn't in the most pristine format.

You can also create a test target table for your data on sybase , do a test bcp OUT to get a copy of the control file. Or insert a test record, bcp THAT out and see how bcp expects the data to be formatted.

I suggest taking this offline if you want further help. hope this helps,
boss

Author: Todd Boss
  INET: boss_at_i-sphere.com