RE: I wanna know how Oracle uses file organization in their DB

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:44:24 -0800

A B-tree is not a binary tree. A binary tree node has 0, 1, or 2 children. A B-tree is a multiway tree in which a node can have arbitrarily many children.

Oracle implements a thing that's similar to a B*-tree. A B*-tree is structurally indistinguishable from a B-tree. They differ only in properties of the insertion and deletion methods used to manipulate them. For complete information, see Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming, Volume III: Sorting and Searching," pp473-480.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 10/28 Phoenix, 11/19 Sydney
- SQL Optimization 101: 12/8-12 Dallas
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

Author: Thai.Dang-Vu-1
  INET: dvt_at_ou.edu

Author: Sinardy Xing
  INET: SinardyXing_at_bkgcomsvc.com

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 31 2003 - 10:44:24 CST