RE: Moving projects from development/test to production

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:05:04 -0800

Helmut,

Not sure of the scope of your request, but I'll try and help.

If you are talking about ERP packages, I think it's easier to control - you only move stuff after much testing in a development/user test environment, and it all goes as a package.

If you are talking about home-grown stuff, change control starts at the development level. For the current project that I am on, I (the Dba team) established a formal change request application for the developers. They submit a request to change a database object. the request gets reviewed and implemented by the DBA team in development. There are four check boxes for each request that indicate when the request was implemented in each of the environments (Dev, User Test, Train & Prod). Reports are run to indicate which request is "eligible" to be moved to the next level (implemented in Dev, but not in User test). When a build is requested, this report is reviewed, and things are moved up as needed.

So we always know when things are moved up and what request is where.

A pretty simple application (written in MSAccess) that is working well for us.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 31 2003 - 08:05:04 CST