RE: Finding the session causing compile to hang

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:19:25 -0800

Hi, Bruce,

I happen to be loading a lot of data using our stored procedure right now. select sql_text from v$sql where users_executing > 0 shows:

INSERT /*+ APPEND PARALLEL(CLAIM) */ INTO CLAIM ( CLAIM_ID, [snipped]

BEGIN sp_insert_claim; END;

SELECT /*+ Q7898000 NO_EXPAND ROWID(A1) */ A1."LOSS_DA" C0,[many other columns] ,A1."CLAIM_ID" C8 FROM "MCILR"."CLAIM" PX_GRANULE(0, BLOCK_RANGE, DYNAMIC) A1[snipped]

The first INSERT line is definitely part of our sp_insert_claim. The third SELECT is heavily rewritten by the PL/SQL engine. But I can tell it's part of the procedure simply by looking at the FROM clause, plus I'm the only one on this database at this moment. (Tomorrow they need the data to be loaded)

Rows in dba_lock_internal shows more than just blocked sessions. For instance, many "Cursor Definition Lock"s in null mode are there to cause parsed cursors to be thrown away if referenced objects are altered in any way. Oracle calls these breakable parse locks. They're not really locks; just a "trigger" mechanism for dependent cursors to be invalidated on certain conditions.

BTW, according to Anjo Kolk's Wait Event paper, in addition to TM locks, IV (library cache invalidation) and DL (direct loader) locks also use ID1 for object number.

Yong Huang

Do you Yahoo!?
Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/
Author: Yong Huang