RE: Overhead Associated with Signon Audit in Financials 11.0

From: David Wagoner <dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:04:24 -0800

Victoria,

Check out Tom Kyte's new book- he encourages the use of auditing, especially Oracle's built-in auditing rather than home-grown. He provides a nice bench-mark test example to compare the performance of loading 30,000 rows into both cases and native auditing won. DIY auditing had a 27% decrease in transactions/second and 146% of the CPU time. Of course, you are asking about auditing vs. no auditing performance, but you could use Tom's approach to measure performance numbers.

Also, there is at least one document I've seen on MetaLink about moving the audit table SYS.AUD$ from the SYS schema to avoid contention/fragmentation. Check out Note 72460.1. Keeping your audit data in the DB, versus in OS text files, is recommended so that you can use DB reporting features and not have to write your own text parsing code- unless you enjoy that sort of thing :-).

Best regards,

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions
Web: http://www.arsenaldigital.com <http://www.arsenaldigital.com/>

"the most trusted source for

            STORAGE MANAGEMENT SERVICES" The contents of this e-mail message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, copying, distribution or other use of the contents of this message or any attachment by you is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or by telephone
(919-466-6700), and please delete this message and all attachments from your
system.
Thank you.

Author: David Wagoner
  INET: dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com