Re: Overhead Associated with Signon Audit in Financials 11.0

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:39:24 -0800

It is true, auditing adds significant overhead, but not session auditing. Significant overhead is added by DML auditing because you ad significant amount of modified blocks to every transaction you audit, you are using space and additional CPU cycles. It can add to much more frequent checkpoints, space shortages and decreased thruput. What I've said applies to DML auditing, if you want to know who was modifying data. Session auditing is not extremely expensive because it happens at the beginning and at the end of every session. FGAC is fairly expensive because it literally rewrites user SQL on the fly. My experience is from a large health care provider. On the other hand, most of the applications have their own trigger based logging, which is just as expensive, if not more, then the DML auditing with the audit statement. Trigger based auditing, on the other hand, enables you to write much more specific information in the application log. Hopefully, this answers your question.

On 10/30/2003 02:54:28 PM, VICTORIA_PIERCE_at_rsausa.com wrote:
> Does anyone have any statistics about overhead associated with using the
> Signon Audit in an 11.0.3/ 8.1.7.4/8.0.6.3 environment. We are using full
> installs of AP, GL, FA and CE. Size of the production database is 100G.
> Can't tell you exactly what we'd be auditing; we are under siege by
> Internal Audit at the moment - they've raised the "database audit" flag,
> but have not started dictating what they want audited. I am trying to get
> some real-world statistics to arm myself with when the day comes .....
>
> I have heard that the overhead is significant - is this true, in your
> experience?
>
> Vicki Pierce
> Database Administration
> x2401

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mladen_at_wangtrading.com