RE: RE: DBA Support Database

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:34:25 -0800

I have seen something of the kind done at one of my large customers (600+ databases, Oracle + Sybase), where I have had more than a hand into the Oracle part (the inventory is stored in *blush* Sybase) and I am working on something similar with a colleague elsewhere, where there are _only_ 80 databases. In both cases the idea is to store an inventory, and to have scripts (tcl at one place, ksh at the other) running once a day to update the inventory; it of course requires having a suitable account with the required privileges created on each database. Inventory set up has been done at one place by scanning possible listener ports over the network, sending lsnrctl stat everywhere. Of course some cleanup required afterwards (... to remove extproc, among other things ...). Information collected involves startup time, Oracle version, tablespace information (also stored to an history table), database links - whatever you wish. For applications, it's a bit more manual. It's easy to get how much space is used by each schema (except SYS, SYSTEM, OUTLN ...) but then you have to 'attach' a schema to an application - and of course a DBA to an application as well. If some standards are respected, it's not too difficult ... The interface has been written with PHP at both places, with regular generation of colorful PDF reports for the management. Looks a bit like reinventing OEM, but the big advantage is that you can plug whatever you want into the system. At the biggest customer, it's linked to a similar system set up by the sysadmins showing all the information you can dream of about servers, hardware-wise as well as software-wise. Pretty impressive.

For the record, the (huge team) of DBA there has at one point been forced upon some 3rd party software but they are much happier with their tools.

HTH SF

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com