Re[5]: SQL and PL/SQL tuning template document required urgen

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:24:25 -0800

DW>    You've probably assessed Cary's book more than anyone besides Cary
DW> himself. How much experience with Oracle do you feel a person should have
DW> before we recommend this book to them?

I'd recommend it to anyone. I tend to recommend whatever books I like and let the chips fall where they may. Having said that, I would couch my recommendation in different terms depending on the my impression of the experience level of the recommendee. I want to set the right expectation. To a rank beginner, I might say something like:

    Buy Cary's book; it's really great. He's very scientific     and methodical, and shows you how to have the database     tell *you* where the time is going. Just read the first     couple three chapters, and then you should probably get     someone a bit more experienced to help you use his     method. Or, get your boss to buy you some analysis time     using the Hotsos Profiler.

It is true that Cary's book is not the sort of thing you can just throw at a very junior person expecting to get good results in return. But Cary's book would at least help them to begin thinking about the tuning problem in a methodical and scientific way. They'd likely need other help, from other people or other books, in order to actually accomplish something.

This brings up an interesting question with respect to Cary's book, and it's a question that doesn't just apply to beginners. How are you all putting his advice into practice? What specific things are you doing as a result of reading the book?

To be honest, were I faced with a tuning problem, I'd want my boss to pay for some runs using the Hotsos Profiler. I wouldn't at all want to reinvent *that* tool. Cary's book would give me the knowledge to collect the proper trace data, and the knowledge to interpret the resource profile, but I'd want a ready-made tool to generate that profile for me.

DW> I suppose if a developer is trying to tune queries, this DW> book might not be suitable.

Actually, isn't that much of the point of the book, to help developers tune queries?

DW> My feeling is that even a novice DBA should be able to
DW> understand at least Part 1 and Part 3, and it would get
DW> them started on the right path. Can you confirm that?

I think that's probably a fair statement. Readers would probably pick up bits and pieces from Part 2 as well.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 29 2003 - 21:24:25 CST