Re: RE: SQL and PL/SQL tuning template document required urgently

From: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:44:25 -0800

not sure its about sink or swim. I think its more productive for them to start with basic stuff and get grounded in that first. Saves time. Saves frustration and they learn faster.

> [...]
> > actually try
> > the code for themselves to get a good understanding. So what? That's
> how
> > you learn.
> >
> > Regarding Cary's book, what's so hard about it? Beginner's could do
> much
> > worse by reading some of the claptrap pablum that is available, but that
>
> > will
> > just make it harder for them to understand the good stuff when they see
> > it.
> >
> > Also, re the comments about the math in Cary's book: What's the big
> deal?
> > So what if you don't understand the math? There isn't really that much
> of
> > it,
> > and you can undestand the material even if you can't follow the proof.
> >
> > Jared
> >
> > Oracle - steroids for your brain.
> >

> > <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net>
> > Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
> > 10/29/2003 09:24 AM
> > Please respond to ORACLE-L
> >

> > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
> <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> > cc:
> > Subject: Re: RE: SQL and PL/SQL tuning template document
> required urgently
> >

> > the original poster sent me an email stating that he doesnt want a book
> or
> > documentation, he just wants some sort of short cut template. i replied
> > that if one exists its garbage. He didnt respond.
> >
> > A side note, it seems to be in vogue to recommend advanced books like
> > carrie millsap's and tom kytes to beginners. This isnt appropriate.
> > Beginners should start with beginning material and work their way up.
> > Starting with advanced material will just confuse them.
> >

> > > From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_lifetouch.com>
> > > Date: 2003/10/29 Wed AM 10:49:25 EST
> > > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> > > Subject: RE: SQL and PL/SQL tuning template document required urgently
> > >
> > > Ranganath
> > > Since you mentioned proactive and reactive query tuning, I think
> the
> > > philosophy with which one approaches the tuning exercise means
> > everything.
> > > Wrong philosophy and you spend your time spinning your wheels. All of
> us
> > > have only a limited amount of time to devote, so the best approach
> will
> > make
> > > the best use of that time.
> > > Get "Optimizing Oracle Performance" by Cary Millsap. It doesn't
> take
> > long
> > > to read the important parts. Implement Cary's approach to locate the
> > queries
> > > where you will get the most bang for the buck. Then use books like Guy
> > > Harrison's (Ryan's suggestion) for pointers on making those queries

<ryan_oracle@cox.net>
Sent by: ml-errors@fatcity.com

 10/29/2003 11:20 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L@fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: RE: SQL and PL/SQL tuning template document required urgently

> [...]

> > Subject: RE: SQL and PL/SQL tuning template document required urgently
> >
> > Ranganath
> >    Since you mentioned proactive and reactive query tuning, I think the
> > philosophy with which one approaches the tuning exercise means
> everything.
> > Wrong philosophy and you spend your time spinning your wheels. All of us
> > have only a limited amount of time to devote, so the best approach will
> make
> > the best use of that time.
> >    Get "Optimizing Oracle Performance" by Cary Millsap. It doesn't take
> long
> > to read the important parts. Implement Cary's approach to locate the
> queries
> > where you will get the most bang for the buck. Then use books like Guy
> > Harrison's (Ryan's suggestion) for pointers on making those queries

       To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L@fatcity.com>

       cc:

Author: <ryan_oracle@cox.net
INET: ryan_oracle@cox.net

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services

Author: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net
  INET: ryan_oracle_at_cox.net