Re: sqlplus prompt question in 9i

From: Ron Thomas <rthomas_at_hypercom.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:34:37 -0800

As a further FYI-

We do not allow anything to be placed in glogin.sql. It can screw up anything supplied by oracle, ie, upgrade scripts. A local login.sql is the best way to go.

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
rthomas_at_hypercom.com
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

                      Jared.Still_at_radis
                      ys.com                   To:       ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity        Subject:  Re: sqlplus prompt question in 9i
                      .com

                      10/29/2003 10:14
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

You could just use login.sql instead, on a per user basis.

If you don't want login.sql to be used, just edit or unset SQLPATH.

Maybe other options available for this in 9i. A perusal of the sqlplus manual may prove useful.

Jared

"Guang Mei" <gmei_at_incyte.com>

Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 10/29/2003 08:24 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        sqlplus prompt question in 9i

Hi:

With Oracle 8i, I always modified $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/glogin.sql, and
added

set termout off
col site_name noprint new_value site_name_new select 'SQL> ' site_name from dual;
select user

                 instr(proc.program,' ') - instr(proc.program,'@'))
       || '-SQL> ' site_name

from v$process proc
where proc.pid = 2;
set sqlprompt '&&site_name_new'
set termout on

so that when a user launches sqlplus, it would show something at prompt like

username_at_hostname-SQL>

instead of

SQL> I found that doing this in 9i will prevent me starting up my instance, when
I use

sqlplus '/as sysdba'

In 8i, I always used svrmgrl to bounce db so there was no problem with modified glogin.sql.

Has anyone found a work-around in 9i so that sqlplus prompt displays
"username" and "hostname" when launched? I know there is a new
_CONNECT_IDENTIFIER in 9i, but that's not good enough.

TIA. Guang

Author: Guang Mei
  INET: gmei_at_incyte.com

Author: Ron Thomas