RE: MSSQL Link Server connection failure to Oracle 817

From: Grant Allen <Grant.Allen_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:14:24 -0800

Guilty. (I promise I won't mention DB2 as well)

> So please forgive me for asking this but it is a huge issue
> here at my work.
> The problem is like this, we have a MSSQL 2000 box connecting
> to Oracle 817, via Linked servers using OLEDB. The jobs will run fine for
> awhile, but then suddenly fail with the following error
>
> Executed as user: TFMC\Administrator. OLE DB provider
> 'MSDASQL' reported an error. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7399) Driver's
> SQLSetConnectAttr failed]
> [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312) OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB
> Provider 'MSDASQL' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005: ]. [SQLSTATE
> 01000] (Error 7300). The step failed.
>
> OK, this is specifically the MS driver being used here, but
> when Oracle drivers are used, we have the same issues.
> Both Databases are on HP/Compaq servers, and the Windows 2000
> platform. I have loaded the newest patches for OLEDB on the MSSQL for the Oracle
> Client, but nothing helps.
>
> Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Denham,

>From my experience, you're in for a torrid time. The 0x80004005 error is returned from the Win32 load library call (can't remember the exact method name, but basically it's the standard "load this DLL" call). 0x80004005 means ... wait for it ... "FAILED". That's it. That's all MS wrote for this error.

As you can see from your error dump, the ::Initialize method was being called, which implicitly loads the provider (and thus the DLL).

The other thing I notice from your error is that you are NOT using the MS or Oracle native providers. You are using the OLEDB to ODBC bridge (MSDASQL ... instead of MSDAORA or OraOLEDB). This is a dog's breakfast. Try changing to whichever of the other two you haven't tried, and see if the error persists.

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

The contents of this post are my opinions only

      If swallowed seek medical advice

Author: Grant Allen
  INET: Grant.Allen_at_towersoft.com.au