RE: Solved - RE: UTL_RAW and slowness

From: Jamadagni, Rajendra <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:04:26 -0800

Thanks Vladimir ... your input has made me look at my code again ...

Here is relevant portion of profsum.sql output ... <profsum>

Lines taking more than 1% of the total time, each run separate

RUNID HSECS PCT OWNER UNIT_NAME LINE# TEXT

----- ------- ------ ----------- --------------   ------ ---------------------
    3  809.03   86.3 ST_DVDB2    STWRITER_PKG_RAJ    246 ntcpchar := ASCII(SUBSTR (msg_text, i,1));
    3   69.29    7.4 ST_DVDB2    STWRITER_PKG_RAJ    256 COMMIT;
    3 13.62 1.5 ST_DVDB2 STWRITER_PKG_RAJ 248 nenctcpchar := TO_NUMBER(utl_raw.bit_xor(r_chr,r_key),'xxxx');     3 10.13 1.1 ST_DVDB2 STWRITER_PKG_RAJ 247 r_chr := utl_raw.cast_to_raw(CHR(ntcpchar));
=
=

Most popular lines (more than 1%), summarize across all runs

  HSECS PCT UNIT_OWNER UNIT_NAME LINE# TEXT

------- ------ ----------- ---------------- ------ ---------------------
 809.03   86.3 ST_DVDB2    STWRITER_PKG_RAJ    246 ntcpchar := ASCII(SUBSTR (msg_text, i,1));
  69.29    7.4 ST_DVDB2    STWRITER_PKG_RAJ    256 COMMIT;
  13.62 1.5 ST_DVDB2 STWRITER_PKG_RAJ 248 nenctcpchar := TO_NUMBER(utl_raw.bit_xor(r_chr,r_key),'xxxx');   10.13 1.1 ST_DVDB2 STWRITER_PKG_RAJ 247 r_chr = utl_raw.cast_to_raw(CHR(ntcpchar)); </profsum>

This shows that substr must have been the culprit ...

BTW I benchmarked your code, extended the strings to 2000 characters and ran each conversion in a loop of 2000 and using utl_raw method turned out to be the fastest.

thanks again for your insight and sample code ... I never knew nor noticed other utl_raw subprograms like utl_raw.copies ...

Now due to pipelining my code is very fast and to accomodate a 122 baud feed, I have insert artificial delays in my code. 8:) Raj

Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal. QOTD: Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art !

Author: Vladimir Begun
  INET: Vladimir.Begun_at_oracle.com

This e-mail message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify corporate MIS at (860) 766-2000 and delete this e-mail message from your computer, Thank you.
Author: Jamadagni, Rajendra
  INET: Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com