RE: dba interview questions

From: Bellow, Bambi <bbellow_at_chi.navtech.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:19:34 -0800

Bill --

I appreciate your input to this very complex question. IMHO, however, "she turned me into a newt!" is, technically, an interview *statement* rather than an interview *question*. That being said, it can be used at the beginning or end of the interview to set tone, but lesser candidates might be inclined to send envelopes full of grass to thank you for taking the time to interview them. This may, or may not, be received favorably, and one must realize the risks in making bold statements when interviewing candidates who may be subpar.

Along those lines, I admit that in all my years of interviewing, I have found that there are interview questions that it is simply better not to ask: "when do you come around next?" (leads interviewee to think that he has advanced to a second interview), and "how do you know he's a king?" (leads to answers about SCOTT and MILLER with CONNECT BYs. Not at all the intended response).

However, I think you're on the right track, if a bit early in the scene. Perhaps you'd consider "What also floats in water?". Of course, there are multiple answers (e.g., apples, very small stones, mud, churches) which could arguably be deemed to show an acceptable level of knowledge, an ability to think outside the box, and an inventive approach, even if the salient points might not be wholly accurate. Even so, the correct answer (a duck) is technically not correct as it does not float, but swims (new scientific has determined this with a fair amount of accuracy), and I'd hate to hire a DBA who was stuck in old paradigms of science and/or technology. A CICS programmer, sure, but not a DBA.

Now, if you'll just bring me a shrubbery, I can get on with my database analysis.

Bambi.

Author: Thater, William
  INET: William.Thater_at_carrier.utc.com

Author: Bellow, Bambi