RE: Oracle pricing ain't going down

From: Rothouse, Michael <mrothouse_at_fcg.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:04:24 -0800

I realized in my hasty response that I failed to complete my thought/question. My response should have been:

IOT and clustered indexes are not comparable to each other. Are they?

As you mention, by definition they do appear similar. I originally thought more about how they are used as it appears (from my experiences anyway) that clustered indexes are utilized more frequently in SQL Server/Sybase than IOTs in Oracle. I too am curious as to when it is an advantage or disadvantage to utilize an IOT. I read somewhere that IOTs are best suited for lookup tables. Tables with a large number of columns are not a very good IOT candidate. I'm just not experienced enough in understanding why that is.

Author: Todd Boss
  INET: boss_at_i-sphere.com

command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Rothouse, Michael
  INET: mrothouse_at_fcg.com