Re: What happened to Howard Rogers ?

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:24:24 -0800

I wouldn't be too sure about that. At least here in Canada everything job related you produce while employed belongs to the employer. The "in my own time" part opens a grey area, but if it is very job related and contains or is related to information obtained on the job I don't think you've got a leg to stand on.
As a consultant I had a lawyer draw up an amendment that specifically retains my rights on anything I produce that is not specifically tied to the client's competitiveness - most of my work is in administering and tuning Oracle, Peoplesoft, or related middleware and is therefore generic. Otherwise everything I create under the contract is automatically property of the client.

At 04:14 PM 10/25/2003, you wrote:
>is that copyright thing something unique to Australia? I dont think they can
>claim that in the US unless you sign some documents first.

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation
http://www.centrexcc.com