Re: Oracle pricing ain't going down

From: Todd Boss <boss_at_i-sphere.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:09:26 -0800

Identity has come a LONG way in Sybase since its initial introduction back in Sybase v10.0 (1994). In fact, the latest versions of Sybase have identities tuned almost to where they emulate a monotonically increasing sequence in every capacity (if you set the parameters correctly).

I've never seen duplicate values with it though. The most common complaint is with "gaps" in the assigned values (since Sybase caches large chunks of numbers to pre-use, and loses them upon abnormal shutdowns). However, there's remedies even for that situation. (see http://www.sypron.nl/idgaps.html for a great writeup).

Surf to http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ/ASE/section6.2.html#6.2.9 for more information. That's the direct link to the Identity section of the Sybase FAQ ... its a little dated but most of the info is still valid. I actually wrote this "answer" for the Sybase FAQ back in 1997 (so yes i know what i'm talking about, i think. :-) )

Todd Boss (a true Sybase dba now hanging out in an oracle world).

Author: Todd Boss
  INET: boss_at_i-sphere.com