RE: VPN to database?

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:29:33 -0800

Jared,

        I'm no network guru, so take this with a ton of salt, but this is how I believe our network admin has it setup. The VPN tunnel comes in thru the outer firewall on a specific port to the vpn server in the DMZ. The vpn server then spreads the ports out as needed to the inner firewall which opens up all ports on the inside to that one server/ip address. Therefore from the applications point of view the inside of the firewall looks the same whether your connected directly on the local lan or coming in via VPN. And if it's that simple, I'm going to be greatly suprised. But I will point out that if the vpn security stuff is not set up just right or gets disturbed the whole thing shuts down better than a clam.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Jared Still