RE: index full scan over an index fast full scan in an analytic function?

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:19:25 -0800

The FF index scan reads all the block in the index, using multiblock reads. The kernel then discards the branch blocks. If sorting of the result set is required, then this is a separate row source operation, because the rows don't come out of the segment in sorted order.

To see why, imagine the following index "picture", which I'll draw sideways, using indentation to denote the parent-child relationship. It's a pretty stupid-looking index (Oracle can have many more children per branch block than I'll draw), but it'll work to illustrate. I'll label each block in the index with file#:block#.

23:14

	23:15
		23:18
		23:19
		23:22
	23:20
		23:17
		23:25
	23:24
		23:21
		23:16
		23:23

To range-scan the rows in the index, the kernel would read the following blocks from file 23 using 'db file sequential read', in this order:

        18, 19, 22, 17, 25, 21, 16, 23.

To FF scan the index, Oracle would read the following blocks using 'db file scattered read' (assume a value of 8 for my example), in this order:

        14-21, 22-25

In using the results, the kernel would discard blocks 14, 15, 20, and 24. As I said, if the kernel needed the rows in the remaining blocks to be in logical order (as opposed to the physical order in which they were obtained), then the kernel would have to sort them.

This is how I think FF scan works. To be sure, trace a simple FF scan, using extended SQL trace (event 10046 level 8).

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 10/28 Phoenix, 11/19 Sydney
- SQL Optimization 101: 12/8-12 Dallas
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net

Author: Cary Millsap