RE: dba interview questions

From: Melanie Caffrey <mcaffrey_at_proximo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:14:33 -0800

I'm actually appending to Kirti's answer below here.

Before my students receive a passing grade in my class, they are required to do exactly what Kirti and Connor have laid out. They must each do this as part of their final exam.

Most of them have no difficulty. When they ask me how they should prepare for an interview, I've often told them that if they are not asked to stand up to a white board and lay everything out, they should offer to.

Most of them do, and oftentimes they get the job, or they are told that they were one of the top five candidates.

And to also add to Rachel's point, I tell them to carefully listen to any technical knowledge displayed by their hiring manager (if this is the person they are interviewing with).

I once interviewed with someone who asked me to solve a potential problem they were currently having with their database.

He told me they had recently added several indexes to such-and-such tables for such-and-such application, and it was *still* slow. I took a brief look and saw no statistics. I asked him if he had ever analyzed his tables or indexes. He told me they created explain plans all the time and still could not locate the problem. I asked him if he was using the cost-based optimizer. He informed me that he was not. He was in fact using optimizer=CHOOSE .... Yeaaaaahhhhh, you see where this is going. I ended up taking a job with a different company.

I tell my students, that even if they are offered a job (and this is less potent advice in a failing economy) if at all possible, try to work for a person who is just as, if not more, knowledgeable than you are. If your boss is a good mentor you have a great potential to grow and further your knowledge. And if not, well, you could end up with the situation above.

So, for the system manager who originally started this thread, hopefully you are just as knowledgeable as the candidates you hope to obtain? Or, you are forwarding the candidates on to someone who is?

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Melanie Caffrey
  INET: mcaffrey_at_proximo.com