Oracle 9.2.0.4 on Gentoo

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:44:53 -0800

More of an FYI than anything...

Kernel: 2.4.20-gentoo-r7 (from Gentoo 1.4 stage 1 tarball) glibc: 2.3.2-r1

9.2.0.1 from the disks installed with the usual linking problems mentioned on various websites (ctx libs, etc.). Since I didn't really care about running 9.2.0.1, I ignored the errors. I d/l'd the 9.2.0.4 patch and did the usual installer upgrade, then patched to 9.2.0.4 -- without a single error or issue!

No kiddin', the damnable thing came through with flying colors, at least on the core DB stuff. I've got a DB manually created on the first try, configured networking (again, "manual" is the only way to fly), and I'm up and running. No glibc flipping, no makefile hacking, no nothing.

I'm almost bold enough to try stripping everything in $OH/bin and blindly see if I can gain any significant performance. Hey, I'm only on page 19 of Cary's and Jeff's book... :D

Just thought this was interesting enough to merit posting. Perhaps good enough for a dev box for some. Hey, Gentoo is already grid-enabled with distcc in Portage! :)

Rich

rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 24 2003 - 10:44:53 CDT