Re: Re: dba interview questions

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:14:34 -0800

I usually tend to ask questions like what has been your worst disaster scenario and how did you fix it, what other options would you have had and why didn't you use these etc.. The same with performance tuning issues...

Tanel.

> Oh! Well. I have not seen Tom's book yet.
> But still, when the candidate is explaining this stuff to you, there are
plenty of opps to
> question him/her to find out if he/she really knows fundamental things..
> During one phone interview, we could clearly hear the paper shuffle in the
background, while the
> candidate asked us to repeat the question (a couple of times) to 'make
sure' he understood it
> correctly before answering (reading?)it :)....
> We stopped phone interview process after this!!
>
> - Kirti
>
> --- rgaffuri_at_cox.net wrote:
> > that question is diagrammed and answered in tom kytes new book. :) im
waiting to get asked it.

> > there is a new ault book out on interview questions. I dont think they
are very tough. I think
> > situational questions are better. Have a development DB set up with
things for the applicant to
> > do.
> >
> > I find that most employers ask the same easy questions. Particularly
developer questions....

> > > From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kirtikumar_deshpande_at_yahoo.com>
> > > Date: 2003/10/24 Fri AM 09:49:26 EDT
> > > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> > > Subject: Re: dba interview questions
> > >
> > > The problem with such lists is that the prospects also have those...
> > > A few years ago Mike Ault published one. We used it to screen
candidates via phone interviews.

> > > Two out of four I talked to gave me perfect answers: word to word from
Mike's list.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee