RE: Transportable tablespaces -- yes in 10g ?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:19:26 -0800

Hmm.

Quoting Page 2 of http://otn.oracle.com/products/database/oracle10g/pdf/OW_General_OracleDatabase10G_Revolution_10R1_081903.pdf

"To assist in migrating to Enterprise Grid Computing, Oracle Database 10g enables very high-speed movement of data
from one database to another across platforms and database versions. For highest performance, transportable
tablespaces move data at the datafile level for fast “plug-and-play”. Transportable tablespaces can now operate across
platforms. Among other things, this allows databases to be migrated to a new platform at the speed of file transfer.
"

Hemant
At 11:49 AM 22-10-03 -0800, you wrote:
Rachel is in fact correct.  See page 4 of the Self Managing Database paper
presented at OracleWorld
(https://www.oracleworld2003.com/published/40090/40090.doc).

Cloning from one OS to another simply doesn't work because the file header
formats are different between the different OS's.  You can't just copy a
datafile from Linux to Solaris, for example, and expect to read it.

Pete
Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100@yahoo.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services
command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Henry Poras
  INET: hporas@etal.uri.edu

Author: Pete Sharman
  INET: peter.sharman@oracle.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
My personal web site is :  http://hkchital.tripod.com

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Hemant K Chitale INET: hkchital@singnet.com.sg Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 11:19:26 CDT