RE: Do not connect Oracle DB to the Internet. Oracle Alert #59

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:39:34 -0800

Dennis,

Note 251910.1

"Oracle Security Alert #59
Dated: 20 October 2003
Updated: 22 October 2003
Severity: 2

Buffer Overflow in Oracle Database Server Binaries

Description
A potential buffer overflow has been discovered in the "oracle" and "oracleO" (the letter O) binaries of the Oracle Database. A knowledgeable and malicious local user can exploit this buffer overflow to execute
code on the operating system hosting the Oracle Database server.

Products Affected

        Oracle 9i Database Release 2, Version 9.2.x
        Oracle 9i Database Release 1, Version 9.0.x

Platforms Affected
All supported UNIX and Linux operating system variants.

Required conditions for exploit
A valid account on the operating system hosting the Oracle Database server.

       Risk to exposure
       The "oracle" and "oracleO" (the letter O) binaries are typically
owned by the "oracle" operating
       system user account and by the "dba" operating system group. A
malicious local user (a user
       defined in the operating system hosting the Oracle Database) can
write code that attempts to exploit
       the buffer overflow in these binaries to run with the privileges of
the "oracle" owner and potentially
       compromise the operating system hosting the Oracle Database server.
Unless you connect the
       Oracle Database directly to the Internet (e.g., no intervening
application server or firewall), a
       remote exploit via the Internet is, in our opinion, unlikely. We
strongly recommend that you do not
       connect the Oracle Database directly to the Internet. However, this
vulnerability is susceptible to an
       insider attack originated on an Intranet if the required conditions
for exploit are met.

       Oracle is aware of an exploit for this vulnerability.

       How to minimize risk

       See Workaround, below. Follow Oracle's best practices for database

       http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/oracle9i/pdf/9ir2_checklist.pdf
       http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/oracle9i/pdf/9i_checklist.pdf

       and best practices for operating system security.

       Ramification for customer
       Oracle recommends that customers review the severity rating for this
Alert and patch
       accordingly. See
http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/pdf/oracle_severity_ratings.pdf for a
       definition of severity ratings.

Workaround

Remove the "execute" permission from the operating system group "other" associated with the affected
binaries. Perform the following steps:

      # cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin

       # chmod o-x oracle oracleO

In addition, verify that only trusted users are in the same group as are the oracle and oracleO binaries.

No other changes are required. For example, do not remove setuid or setgid from the affected binaries.

NOTE: This workaround protects customers from the potential vulnerability. However, after performing
the steps listed above, depending on the configuration of Oracle Net Services, certain users may no longer
be able to connect to the Oracle Database. Specifically, if the database is configured to use the bequeath
protocol[1], then local users not in the operating system "dba" group will no longer be able to connect to
the database. With the workaround applied, the Oracle Net Listener runs as the same user who owns the
oracle binary, or as a user who is a member of the "dba" group. Although this is already the case for a
typical installation/configuration, it is not normally required that the user running the listener has these
privileges.

For those customers who are unable to implement the workaround as suggested, Oracle recommends
applying the patch as soon as it is available.

Fixed by
An interim (one-off) patch for this issue is available for the following release:

           Oracle 9i Database Release 9.2.0.4 for Linux x86.

Download this one-off patch from the Oracle Support Services web site, Metalink (
http://metalink.oracle.com):

   1.Click on the Patches button.
   2.Click on the "Simple Search".
   3.In the "Search By" option select "Patch Number(s)" from the drop-down
menu, and enter 3157063
           in the box.
   4.Select the required platform and language.
   5.Click on the "Go" button.

   6.Click on the "Download" button.
   7.Recommended: you should also click on the "View README" button for additional information

           and instructions.

Please review Metalink, or check with Oracle Support Services periodically for patch availability if the
patch for your platform is unavailable. Oracle strongly recommends that you backup and comprehensively
test the stability of your system upon application of any patch prior to deleting any of the original file(s) that are replaced by the patch.

Modification History
20-OCT-03: Initial release, version 1
22-OCT-03: Identified restrictions of the provided workaround, provided patch details for Linux x86,
Oracle 8i Database Release 8.1.x and earlier proved not vulnerable.

[1] If the client and server exist on the same machine, a client connection can be
bequeathed (passed) directly to a dedicated server process without going through
the listener. The application initiating the session spawns a dedicated server process for the connection request using the bequeath protocol. This happens automatically if an application is used to start the database on the same machine
as the database. "

Also at http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/pdf/2003alert59.pdf

The 8.1.7 Support Status and Alerts note [Note 120607.1] has also been updated with a reference to this [Vulnerability#59] Note 251910.1 However, 251910.1 specifically says that 8.1.x and earlier has been proved as not vulnerable.

Hemant

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional My personal web site is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale