Re[2]: Your new book

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:59:25 -0800

Wednesday, October 22, 2003, 5:09:35 PM, Niall wrote:

NL> Stephen Hawking in 'A Brief History of Time' writes "Someone
NL> told me that each equation I put in the book would halve the sales. I
NL> therefore resolved not to have any equations at all. In the end,
NL> however, I did put in one equation, Einstein's famous equation E=mc˛."
NL> Cary and Jeff have either not been given this advice, or ignored it in
NL> the interests of accuracy.

O'Reilly's production people would have been much happier had I given that advice (I didn't), and had Cary taken it
(he wouldn't have, I'm sure). There was much wailing and
gnashing of teeth over Cary's math. Many battles were fought over it. Much blood was spilled.

I for one am glad the math is there. Even if you just skim over it with your eyes glazed over, it's nice to know the proof of the method's effectiveness is there for whenever you might need it.

Plus, it was just great fun to edit a book with such intense content.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com