RE: Your new book

From: Michael Milligan <Michael.Milligan_at_ingenix.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:19:25 -0800

Great comment. I believe your analogy to relational theory to be very apt. Back when we were all in junior high and our teachers were drawing those Venn diagrams on the board, we were probably thinking "When will I ever use this stuff?". Personally, I use it every day. What you said about relational databases lasting because they are based on mathematical truths is true, I believe, and I would take it a step further. Understanding the principles of relational algebra, specifically those that apply directly to relational database theory, permits us to be far better practitioners. I know of many database "experts" who purport that the "relational" in RDBMS represents relating tables.

I also know of many very, very intelligent, I would say brilliant, people who have not taken the time to learn relational theory, and do not understand why they end up frustrated when they try to make their RDBMS work like it's part of a linked list in their C++ program. They fight against the very theory that would free them if they understood it and worked with it.

People pooh-pooh "theory", and in particular relational theory, because it's not "real world". I disagree wholeheartedly. The "theory" they pooh-pooh really equates to foundational principles. Like the principles of gravity. Those who make airplanes understand the principles involved very well. They don't fight against those truths. The use them to accomplish their goals. Their planes fly.

I'm looking forward to Cary's book precisely because of the reasons you mentioned.

Michael Milligan
Oracle DBA
Ingenix, Inc.
2525 Lake Park Blvd.
Salt Lake City, Utah 84120
wrk 801-982-3081
mbl 801-628-6058
michael.milligan_at_ingenix.com

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

Author: Michael Milligan
  INET: Michael.Milligan_at_ingenix.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 19:19:25 CDT