Setting environment variable in Perl script

From: Pena, Carol A <CAPena_at_tmw.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:14:40 -0800

I need some help with a perl script! I have a script that currently does batch compiles of forms and reports so I know it works. However, I need to have a version of it for compiling forms in French using the NLS_LANG=FRENCH_FRANCE.WE8ISO8859P1 parameter. Maybe it's not as simple as I would like to think it is. After adding the variable, the perl script returns a .BAD file without any other errors. Am I setting this correctly? Here's a sample of the script that runs on Windows 2000.

#!F:\PERL\bin\perl -w

$ENV{NLS_LANG}="FRENCH_FRANCE.WE8ISO8859P1"; @filepatterns = ("*.fmb");
for $sourcefile (`dir/b @filepatterns`) {

        @words = split(/\./, $sourcefile); #Get the filename and the extension in an array

        $sourcefilename = $words[0]; #Assign the filename part to a variable

        system "F:\\orant\\bin\\ifcmp60.exe module=F:\\NT_COMPILE\\$sourcefilename userid=txadm/pswd\@MTXTEST batch=yes";

	$compiledfile = "$sourcefilename\.fmx"; #Derive the compiled
file name

#If the compiled file is there, then remove the error file
#and copy the compiled file to whereever it goes.
#else if the compiled file is not there, copy the source file to

#whatever.bad.

        if (-s $compiledfile) {

	      unlink "$sourcefilename.err";
            system "copy $sourcefilename.fmb
f:\\NT_MIGRATION\\TXTEST_FRENCH\\";
		system "copy $sourcefilename.fmx
f:\\NT_MIGRATION\\TXTEST_FRENCH\\";
		unlink "$sourcefilename.fmx";
		unlink "$sourcefilename.fmb";
        }
        else {
            system "rename $sourcefilename.err $sourcefilename.err.bad";
		system "rename $sourcefilename.fmb
$sourcefilename.fmb.bad";
      	unlink "$sourcefilename.err";
		unlink "$sourcefilename.fmb";
	}

}

@filepatterns2 = ("*.rdf");
for $sourcefile2 (`dir/b @filepatterns2`) {

        @words2 = split(/\./, $sourcefile2); #Get the filename and the extension in an array

        $sourcefilename2 = $words2[0]; #Assign the filename part to a variable

        system "F:\\orant\\bin\\rwcon60.exe userid=txadm/pswd\@MTXTEST stype=rdffile source=F:\\NT_COMPILE\\$sourcefilename2 dtype=repfile batch=yes";

        $compiledfile2 = "$sourcefilename2\.rep"; #Derive the compiled file name

#If the compiled file is there, then remove the error file
#and copy the compiled file to whereever it goes.
#else if the compiled file is not there, copy the source file to

#whatever.bad.

        if (-s $compiledfile2) {
      	system "copy $sourcefilename2.rdf
f:\\NT_MIGRATION\\TXTEST_FRENCH\\";
		system "copy $sourcefilename2.rep
f:\\NT_MIGRATION\\TXTEST_FRENCH\\";
		unlink "$sourcefilename2.rep";
		unlink "$sourcefilename2.rdf";
        }
        else {
            system "rename reports.log $sourcefilename2.log.bad";
		system "rename $sourcefilename2.rdf
$sourcefilename2.rdf.bad";
		unlink "reports.log";
		unlink "$sourcefilename2.rdf";