RE: Boolean dates...

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:34:25 -0800

Actually, Oracle's implementation is a Julian date.

The YYDDD format is most definitely not a Julian date, though many persist in calling it that.

Oracle is using what is called a 'Modified Julian Date'. A Julian date actually begins at Noon on -4712, which is 4713 BC.

That ordinal vs. cardinal number thing will get you every time. :)

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/mjd.html

Jared

DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_lifetouch.com> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 10/22/2003 09:44 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Boolean dates...

I think this is very perceptive - Julian vs. Boolean. I just want to mention
that what Oracle calls a Julian date is the number of days since Jan 1, 4712
BC. As far as I know, that is exclusive to Oracle. Other systems define Julian differently. IIRC, IBM mainframes call the number of days since the most recent Jan. 1 is the Julian. Oracle uses the ddd format in to_char and
to_date functions for this, like today is the 295th day of 2003.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com